Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Deceptions - A Triangle I Can Tolerate!

TITLE: Deceptions (Cainsville #3)
AUTHOR: Kelley Armstrong
PUBLISHER: Dutton
PUBLISHING DATE: August 18, 2015

FROM GOODREADS: (WARNING!  COULD CONTAIN SPOILERS!) Olivia Taylor Jones's life has exploded. She's discovered she is not only adopted, but her real parents are convicted serial killers. Fleeing the media frenzy, she took refuge in the oddly secluded town of Cainsville. She has since solved the town's mysteries and finds herself not only the target of its secretive elders but also her stalker ex-fiancĂ©.

Visions continue to haunt her: particularly a little blond girl in a green sundress who insists she has an important message for Olivia, one that may help her balance the light and darkness within herself. Death stalks both Olivia and the two men most important to her, as she desperately searches to understand whether ancient scripts are dictating the triangle that connects them. Will darkness prevail, or does Olivia have the power to prevent a tragic fate?


MY THOUGHTS:  I really don't want to give too much away because this is the third book in what I understand will be a 5 book series. However, I can say I loved this book and I can't wait to see where the story heads next. I do believe this book was slightly slower than the previous two, and it took me about 75-100 pages until I reached that "can't put down" feeling, but I did eventually get there.

I can't praise Armstrong's writing enough. I have read her entire Women of the Underworld series, which I believe is 13, and adored the majority of them as well. As sad as I was when that series concluded, and as hesitant as I was to start the Cainsville series, I am glad I did.

This book is a perfect mix of mystery and thriller, with some paranormal elements thrown in. In fact, I think this book contains more out and out paranormal aspects than the first two. In those, the elements were more explored in ways of omens and visions (appropriate for the names I suppose - totally unintentional). Armstrong also tackles a love triangle, which I normally hate, with such grace and tact that it doesn't bother me at all. It is so woven into the plot of the book and there is a definitive reason for it, that it makes total sense. Plus, there is no insta-love. Another plus.

I can't recommend this series enough and if you love urban fantasy, mystery or thrillers, give it a go. I may even have to alter my opinion on a certain supernatural being because Armstrong is actually managing to change it.


RATING: 4 PAWS
 



This is my 4th book for the September is for Sequels challenge and the 2nd book for R.I.P. Challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment